What is a Zen Master?
Muho Noelke is the former abbot of Antaiji, a Soto Zen monastery in Hyogo, Japan. He now makes jokes on Japanese Twitter while writing books and giving online lectures. I think this episode is great and if you’ve ever been curious about Zen or Buddhism, then you should watch the whole thing, lots of gems scattered throughout.
This episode is also available to watch as a video podcast: https://youtu.be/0IU5AgLLeIo
- Muho’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/MuhoNoelke
- Muho’s German Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@muho
- Muho’s English Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@MuhoZen
- Antaiji Soto Zen Temple: https://antaiji.org/
Table of Contents:
- 00:00:00 – A punch in the face.
- 00:01:28 – Intro
- 00:04:16 – Number One Misconception About Zen
- 00:09:44 – Quitting the Game: Karma in Early Buddhism vs Mahayana
- 00:19:58 – Revisionist History in Zen
- 00:26:21 – Is Zen Popular? Zen vs Christianity
- 00:37:16 – Inkan Shome, Shiho, and Darma Transmission
- 00:43:51 – Is it possible to attain enlightenment without Dharma Transmission?
- 00:48:07 – Ikkyu San
- 00:48:54 – Discord
- 00:50:09 – What is a Zen Master?
- 00:52:27 – Muho on Science Fiction
- 00:55:07 – The most recent thing that made Muho LoL.
- 00:57:02 – What language do you use as your inner voice?
- 01:04:04 – Where does consciousness exist?
- 01:10:03 – Science fiction part 2.
- 01:13:22 – No Self and Two Truths Doctrine
- 01:18:27 – Does a dog have Buddha Nature?
This podcast is powered by Pinecast. Try Pinecast for free, forever, no credit card required. If you decide to upgrade, use coupon code r-4b5077 for 40% off for 4 months, and support Design Exchange with Thomas Grové.